Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sentimental Moment

Okay so today I had a sentimental moment. I admit that I am a sentimental person in general but today I had a special moment. Let me explain. I had an aunt (yes had she has since left this earth) who I will call The Wicked Witch of the Midwest (WW for short). Well WW and I had a history before she died (I will write about that later). Well I was living in Chicago at the time and WW was living there as well. I was working at one of my first real jobs after college and I had a jacket that I wore. Anyone who has experienced a Chicago winter will attest that a jacket just will not do it when it is cold. Well anyhew I did not see her that much but I went over her house one day to drop something off to her. Well the following conversation began:
WW: "Is that the only coat that you have?"
Me: "Yes, but it is okay"
WW: " You need a better coat"
Me: " No, I am fine" *all the while thinking that I am cold as hell
Well I went on about my way becuase as I said WW and I were not and had not been on very good terms and I was only going over there because my mom wanted me to help her sister. Well a couple of weeks later I get a call from WW asking me to meet her downtown at a tall girls store. I still did not get what was up but basically when I met her there she told the lady that her niece needed a coat. Okay, now I had a lot of animosity for WW due to our past. I did not walk around all of the time with these feelings in fact I had filed them away and decided not to deal with her but I was honestly touched that she had went out of her way to make sure that I had a decent winter coat.
Here lies the sentimentality of today...I put on the coat for the first time this winter. I have had this coat for about 8 years now and the zipper is hanging on by it's last thread, the pockets have holes. However, when I put it on this morning I got a warm feeling about WW thinking enough to bring me downtown to buy me this new coat. Now, things did not get warm and fuzzy by any means after all of this but I saw a glimpse of the aunt that I used to love when I was little. I was really confused as to how she could do something so nice out of the blue when she had done and said so many horrible things in the past. I had to stop and realize it for the blessing that it was...because my little butt was freezing.

No comments: