Friday, November 21, 2008

There Will Never Be Another Today

I was chatting with a co-worker today and we were just generally talking about our weekend plans. She then said to me " You know there will never be another today". I mean it was totally out of the blue. At first I was like...okay? However, it did get me to thinking. It made me realize how I should cherish each day. One of my favorite songs is by Tim McGraw called " Live Like You are Dying". The words tell of a man who found out some bad news from his doctors and he said that he then went on to live out all of the things that he had been wanting to do. The truth is that we should all have this attitude without feeling like we are dying but the grim truth is that we are. Each day that I wake up I thank God for giving me one more chance to get it right. While at the same time it is one less day that I have.

I think of how many times I rushed through each of my days trying to get things done. I have gone through days wishing they would just hurry up and end. I think of times that I have been with loved ones and not really cherished that time. I thought about the last time that I spoke with my grandmother who was 93 when she passed away. When I would speak with her over the phone I would always end my calls with an "I love you". I knew that one day that would be the last time that I would be able to say those words to her. While I was sad to hear the words that my grandmother had passed away I was happy to know that in my last conversation with her only a couple of days before I had told her that I loved her. I knew it and she knew it.

I know that I have to embrace each day for the unique day that it is. I may do the same thing, see the same people, go the same way to work, eat the same foods the truth is that each day is a day that I have never seen nor will I ever see again.

So, I will take the challenge to remember that there will never be another today and enjoy each day for its uniqueness.

No comments: