Monday, November 24, 2008

Burden or Blessing?

Is it a burden or a blessing to be exactly who you are? This is a question that I have to ask myself on the regular. Sometimes depending on the situation I wish that I could have a different attitude, different thoughts, do things different, or just be something different than what I am right now. Now don't get me wrong this fabulous girl does realize her value and the place that it has had, does have, and will have in this world but sometimes it seems to be more of a burden.

For example I have been told that I have such a big heart. Now this is a blessing right? I mean with a big heart I can be more loving, more open, and generally just more. To be honest most of the time I like having this "big heart" I mean it allows me to love deeply. It allows me to feel compassion for others that some other people just don't get. It allows me to find joy in the smallest things. However, it can be a burden when with this big heart I tend to take on more than one should. When my heart is "broken" it hearts a great deal and often takes a little more time than average to be repaired. I have always been very empathetic but I find myself often trying to fix things or trying to make sure that those around me are happy.

That is just one of my examples but there are many out there. There are people for who are particularly skilled in a certain area and this is often considered a blessing or a gift. The burden comes in when that gift or talent is used unjustly, ridiculed, or simply taken for granted. How about when your "blessing" defines you or totally engulfs you? Now I know that the bearer has control on how they and their abilities are used but I am saying that often times this is much easier said than done.

Until Next Time

Peace and Blessings,

Me

No comments: