Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Moment...This Time




I took the day off from work today so that I could stay home to watch all of the Inauguration events. I really wanted to be in the midst but since I didn't get a golden ticket...I did the next best thing and watched the coverage on CNN and ABC. I know that this day will go down in history. It will be one of those things that go down with other major events of past. You know the ones where people ask you "where were you when...?" I will now be able to honestly say to a child of color that they can really be President of the United States. I know that President Obama is not a savior of any sorts. I know that he has a great task ahead of him. I know that he will not be able to do everything in a short 8 year piece of time. However, to try to express how I feel inside is really...well difficult. You know one of things that they do when you are watching all of the commentary is to throw out a bunch of facts. A few of the most bone chilling include:
· The US Capital was built by slaves
· The White House was built by slaves
· The US Constitution that our new President swears to protect stated that Black men were 3/5 of a man
· In many states when President Obama was born his parents were not allowed to marry due to his father being black and his mother being white.
· As he said in his speech there were lunch counters that would not serve his father.
So to say that we have come a long way is an understatement. I do understand how some people are not for Obama and his presidency and to them I say you have that right. However, I do support this president at this moment and at this time.
I was born in the United States and most likely I will die in the United States as there is no greater country in my opinion. However, I do have this stirring inside, this kinship with my country that I have never before felt.
I am excited about the possibilities, I am excited about a young beautiful first family, I am excited about a dynamic first lady whom I really would like to emulate. You know there used to be a saying when Michael Jordan was playing ball… “I wanna be like Mike” this was catchy and lots of people were singing it. Now you have young people (and old) saying that they are going to do it like Barack. You now have ladies saying that they want to follow in the steps of the new First Lady (you can count me in on this one).
I promise that I will do all that I can to help make the dreams and goals that are right for our country via this presidency a reality.

No comments: